Acting & Community-based Theatre – Uniting Performers!
Theatre classes for the masses
Affordable, flexible theatre classes for adults (aged 16+).
Open level classes offered Sundays from 3:00-5:00 PM, March 5 to 26, at A1 LabArts Studio, 23 Emory Place. The fee for the entire series of four classes is just $50, or $15 for each class. Pre-registration preferred, but drop-ins are welcome!
- March 5: Improv, Part I with Paul Simmons of Einstein Simplified
- March 12: Improv, Part 2 with Paul Simmons of Einstein Simplified
- March 19: More than Words: Telling Your Character’s Story Through Movement with Rachel Milford of Cattywampus Puppet Council
- March 26: Film & TV Acting with actor Mike Stanley
Thanks to a generous grant from the East Tennessee Foundation CNS Y-12 Community Investment Fund, we will offer FREE theatre classes just for seniors (aged 50+) on Mondays from 1:00-3:00 PM from February 27 to March 20, at the O’Connor Senior Center, 611 Winona Street. No pre-registration required for these classes – simply walk in and join in the fun!
- February 27: Stage Acting Basics with actor Sara Gaddis
- March 6: Creative Set Design with director JP Schuffman
- March 13: Playwriting Workshop, Part I with author Staci Swedeen
- March 20: Playwriting Workshop, Part II with author Staci Swedeen
ACT-UP offers affordable, flexible theatre classes for working adults while providing a forum for established local artists to share wisdom, develop teaching skills and promote their work. While these classes focus on process work over performance, we encourage students to apply their skills by participating in Tennessee Stage Company’s various projects and productions. ACT-UP classes are made possible thanks to a grant from the Tennessee Arts Commission.